Sunday, August 8, 2010

Smackdown Rundown (Kofi Kingston vs Dolph Ziggler and Drew McIntyre vs Rey Mysterio)

I apologize for not updating the wrestling section of Vintage Blogs as much as I used to. However, that's about to change, because of my friend, JD, from Wackbag. He has graciously allowed me to post his reviews (from Wackbag's wrestling section) on here. If you are familiar with the name that's because JD also helped me compile the matches for the Shawn Michaels induced trips Into the Wresting Vault.

JD's reviews are always entertaining, insightful and provide more laughs than any of mine ever did. I would like to thank JD for allowing me to post his reviews, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

This is his review for the August 6th edition of Friday Night Smackdown.
  • Yanks game pre-empted it, so I started the DVR late after the news. Rey vs. McIntyre for the main event, huh? That's pretty much two guys I don't give a shit about. I'm glad I missed Rey's portion of the promo
  • Rhodes-Hardy wasn't bad. I still can't deal with Cody just wearing those speedo trunks. I liked Striker making the reference to The Missing Link Decent match between the two
  • Kofi vs. Ziggler for the IC title...called it last week, Ziggler's going to win
  • Alberto del Rio is going to get heat when he eventually gets to the ring because the crowds are so fucking bored of his shitty vignettes. If I was at a show & this came on, I'd get up and go get myself food & drink
  • Rosa looks hot, I hope she's getting ring time during house shows or else she's even more pointless than the Bella Twins. Wow...this Flawless BFF women's title angle is probably doing more to hurt Women's wrestling than when Medusa threw the title in the garbage can.
  • Okay, now we've got Kofi-Ziggler. This should be a good match, but clearly Ziggler's going to win due to some sort of interference by Vickie. I kind of like this new, more aggressive Kofi; he tells a better story than just doing high spots. Sorry Grisham, Ziggler isn't the best guy to never win a title, that list is long as all hell in WWE. He may be the best guy currently on the roster who hasn't won one. Damnit...I want Kofi to hit Vickie with Trouble in Paradise...alas in the new WWPG, there is to be no violence against women. Good post match attack by Kofi, I hope they get a cage match or something like that at SummerSlam. Haha, so much for doing the Boom Drop through the table
  • Love Punk promos. He owned that entire segment
  • Oh yeah I forgot...Wrestlemania is on tonight on NBC. Huh, from 9 to 10...I guess they'll show the fireworks, then HBK-Undertaker
  • SES vs. MVP, JTG, & Chris Masters...I feel sorry for those three. Masters was getting pushed to the moon (even though he sucked) before he got suspended, JTG was doing well in Cryme Tyme and they had a few tag title shots, and MVP looked like he had the ability to get pushed into the World Title picture, now they're fodder and basically jobbers.
  • Grooming tips from "Dashing" Cody Rhodes...I bet he'll have one about asshair soon enough
  • SummerSlam is next weekend. Jesus have they done an awful job making me want to order it.
  • Is Kane turning heel or is it more of a 'tweener vs. Face with him & Rey? Clearly it's impossible to turn Rey heel, although they did have a chance to do it with his angle with CM Punk
  • What the hell was the crowd chanting at the beginning? Holy shit, they were actually chanting "Si se puede?" That's fucking annoying as all hell to me. I got a chuckle out of Striker saying, "We're in Texas, I'll call my friend George." Not a bad match between the two, not great either...decent finish.
  • Rey & Cena are almost the same character on different shows...100% support from the children & always capable of "overcoming the odds." No shocker at all that Rey said it was Kane; we all knew it would come back down to that anyways. Hopefully Kane wins at Summerslam, I don't want to see Rey with the title again.
-------------------------
Hi, it's Aizaz again.....Since, I don't want to appear as a complete and lazy asshole, I'm going to post a few of my own thoughts on Smackdown as well.
  • Right off the bat, I have a confession to make. I know a lot of people don't like Cody Rhodes or his new gimmick, but I dig it. Look, the whole narcissist/good looking guy gimmick has been prevalent throughout wrestling for years, Luger did it, Chris Masters did it, hell even Mark Jindrak had that gimmick, but Cody Rhodes has embraced the gimmick and put his own stamp onto it. Those segments with Rhodes giving grooming advice are hilarious and they are above and beyond what is required of him. Now, all he needs is a female manager/valet to completely solidify his gimmick.



  • Did Smackdown actually have a title being split right down the middle? That is fucking horrible.
  • By the way, Todd Grisham is now a fucking asshole. During one of McIntyre's appearances on the show, he actually said that Drew had beaten Christian last week. Hey fucko, watch the fucking show you are actually calling. Though Drew might have storyline "injured" Christian, Captain Charisma won the goddamn match. There is absolutely no excuse for Grisham to forget that after one week.
  • Why couldn't the title change be on Summerslam? There is a ton of history with the Intercontinental Championship and Summerslam, I think it would have made more sense for the title to change hands at the actual PPV event. Unless, Kofi plans to invoke his rematch clause at the PPV and they give him the title back. In that case, the title switch on Smackdown would make far more sense.
  • Like JD mentioned, this side of Kofi is far more interesting to watch than the happy go lucky version of Kofi we usually see. Remember when Orton and Kofi were feuding on Raw, the fans really got behind Kofi after we started seeing the more violent side of the former Intercontinental Champion.

  • A couple of weeks ago rumors were swirling that the WWE is looking for their next black superstar, by adding (maybe reviving is a better word) another dimension to his character, I think they have stumbled on that next superstar.
  • Oh and let's not forget Ziggler, his title reign is well deserved. Dolph has been after this title for a couple of years now, and it's good to see him get that win and move forward in his career.
  • And there it is....The WWE is slowly revealing that Kane is the perpetrator behind Undertaker's vegetative state. I predicted this weeks ago, but I really hoped they wouldn't go with this predictable reveal, but as usual the WWE disappoints.
  • Goddamn, it's only been a year since Smackdown was the best wrestling show in years. Now, it's complete dogshit and about as predictable as James Cameron's Avatar.
-----------------------------------------
Thanks for reading!

Comment if you like, we would really appreciate it if you do.

If you need to contact us for any reason, telling us how great we are, asking us some questions, making suggestions, or even complaining, just e-mail me at philly_homer@yahoo.com

Oh and visit Wackbag, it's one of the funniest boards in the interwebz, I would know since I'm a member as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment