Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Exciting News for Vintage Blogs: Expanded Coverage and A New Member

When John and I first came up with the idea for a wrestling blog, I always dreamed of expanding our coverage to more than just wrestling. I'm a huge fan of television, and movies, so I always wanted to expand our coverage to that. The coverage would include things such interesting TV news, and reviews for episodes from certain TV shows. Now, we are taking the first steps to making that dream into a reality. To start the TV portion of Vintage Blogs, we will be covering Supernatural from the CW.

Here is what I had to say about it back in August (when I had finished watching all the episodes) before Season 5 began.

I just finished watching every aired episode of Supernatural and I can't believe that such a fantastic show is so far under the radar. What I like about the show is that while not really a comedy, it's also not really a drama or pure action. It's one of the few shows that have that realistic-ish dark comic vibe, highlighted by banter. The humor is fantastic most of the time and I love all the pop culture references. I laugh out loud at least once per episode (though usually there is more than once), which is better than some comedies. I watch a lot of television, and it's so refreshing to see a show which can combine drama, horror dark humor, and pure action in such an excellent way.

When somebody first suggested the show to me, I was more than skeptical with the two leads being pretty boys. Combine that with the fact that the show aired on the CW, and I didn't expect much. Nevertheless, I gave the show a try and I was more than pleasantly surprised. Jensen Ackles and Jared Padelecki do an amazing job of portraying their respective characters (Sam and Dean Winchester). The two brothers are hunters who take care of things such as ghosts, vengeful spirits, shape shifters, reapers, vampires, werewolves and even demons. However, this isn't just a procedural. The seasons have over arching plots for the brothers to follow like the Demon known as "Yellow Eyes" who killed their mom.

Don't let the pretty boy looks fool you, these two are certifiable badasses.

The writers and creator do a really job of researching topics and mythology and incorporating it into the world of Supernatural. The show features a lot of classic rock tracks from the likes of Sabbath, Zeppelin, and AC/DC. The aforementioned tracks come courtesy of Dean Winchester who while being a sarcastic badass also manages to be a complex character. He reminds of me of myself, except he is handsome. Also, nearly every chick who has ever appeared on the show is hot. Seriously, if you go through every episode, I doubt you will find an ugly chick. I salute the people cast those hot chicks, and keep the male demographic happy.

The show has aired 85 episodes in its 4 season. Now, I realize that most of you are not going to be able to watch all 85 of them, which is why, I'm going to suggest that you watch from the beginning of Season 5. The next season starts off with a bang with Lucifer just being risen. Lucifer is bringing the Apocalypse with him, and it's going to be a season long thing. However, he is not just a villain who intends to destroy the world. Lucifer's character is going to be one who is quite sympathetic ala Paradise Lost.

This is also one of the reasons, I'm so impressed with with the show. Even with Angels and Demons on the show, the writers take quite an agnostic approach. For one thing, God has gone AWOL and it's the Angels who are running things, which is not a good thing. In the Supernatural world, Angels have their own agendas and frankly they are sanctimonious dicks. The Demons aren't exactly pleasant with the whole killing off humanity thing. Sandwiched between two sides, which don't care about them, Humanity finds itself in quite a jam with Lucifer gathering his forces.

Frankly, I love this show, and I would definitely recommend giving it a shot. The fifth season, along with the Apocalypse, starts on September 10 at 9pm on the CW.
Now, that Supernatural is going to reach a milestone 100th episode, we will have new team member Pat P covering the episodes for us. Pat is a man of few words, and doesn't need to introduce himself like the late Tony Mah (who only wrote one post before quitting), he will begin his coverage with a review of the 100th episode of Supernatural. You can expect the review to go up sometime Friday. We hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment